Sunday, January 2, 2011

Gadgets, Music, Choices and other remnants of Christmas

Yes indeed, computers and gadgets were most of my day. Apryl is on her way home from a full week in New Mexico with her Grandparents and we had to get all of her Christmas present electronic gear together. I have the good fortune of having Jeney, so she handled the new Amazon Kindle. I now have a wife who also wants a Kindle, but that is another story for another day.

I placed myself in charge of the new touch screen MP3 player and the importation of songs. Little did I know what I was getting into. Her new MP3 player did not work with iTunes, so I had to use Windows Media Player and import the music into the Windows Media Player library folder. If you have done this and have 10,000 songs like I do, then you know this is a lengthy task.

Then I had the task of choosing music to put on her player, this was the hard part. I have been a concert promoter of pop, rock, indie bands, MC's and singers. I play guitar and listen to rock, hip hop, indie and punk - however I had to think twice about the music I personally felt comfortable with putting on her mp3 player. Although Jeney and I might listen to Eminem, Lil Wayne & Ke$ha; I just couldn't bring myself to load those songs on to her player. Now don't get me wrong, i'm not delusional - I know she can hear and will hear these songs, but me personally loading the unedited songs on there for her was a line I was not able to cross.

After a period of 30 minutes or so I found her about 10 gigs of music ranging from No Doubt to Disney movie  songs to Justin Bieber to Neon Trees. It was a full 45 minutes later that all the music was transferred onto the handy touch screen device.

I guess that's why I'm called Dad.

Happy New Year,

Bill