Monday, February 14, 2011

Pic of the Day: Penne pasta w/ tomato, wine & pepper sauce (with recipe)

This is what I cooked for Valentines dinner, Jeney and Apryl enjoyed it, as did I. I am lucky to have an awesome wife who allowed me to cook her dinner and post this recipe for you.

Here is the way you make it:

4 - cups pre-cooked penne pasta
1 - 15oz can of tomato sauce
1 - 15oz can of chopped tomato w/ Italian herbs
1 - red bell pepper, chopped
6 - garlic cloves, chopped
1 - half medium sized red onion, chopped
1 cup white wine
1/4 cup canola oil
1 TBSP basil, chopped
1 TBSP oregano, chopped
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp vinegar

Heat large skillet, add oil. When oil starts to shimmer add the onions, garlic and peppers, sauté on medium high heat for about 4 min or until they start to brown.
Add the white wine and cook it down for about 2-3 minutes, add the can of chopped tomato, cook for 2 min, add the tomato sauce, herbs and paprika and cook for another 2 min.

Add the pre-cooked pasta & cook for 3 min while stirring. Turn heat to low, add the vinegar, stir, cover and cook for 3 more min.

Uncover, stir, serve. Add salt, pepper and cheese to taste and enjoy. Serves 5 grownups.

PS - today is 7 years of marriage for Jeney and I, if I keep cooking like this I think she will stick with me. I love you Jennifer Kay Kingsbury!!