Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My first day of being Gluten Free; 3/21/2011

It is not often I am this forward about my personal life, my medical health, but this seemed like something worth talking about.

Over the last few months I have been having some medical issues. I have been experiencing extreme discomfort in my 'belly' area. I was very alarmed and Jeney was downright freekin out about it. A few of you might have even noticed that at a recent school board meeting I was in some extreme pain towards the end of the meeting, to the point I had to excuse myself from the dais for a moment.

I feel like I owe a bit of an explanation, now that I have somewhat of an idea as to what is wrong with me.
After consulting with my doctor (I am still waiting for a few more test results) it would seem that I am one of approximately 16 million Americans with a wheat gluten allergy and/or celiac disease.

This would make plenty of sense after all, before the aforementioned school board meeting of pain, I had consumed a couple slices of garlic bread and had 2 plates of whole wheat pasta with veggies. By the end of that meeting I was in serious pain and I thank Mr Reller and Mrs Clites for their concern.

Now comes the interesting part, removing all gluten containing products from my selection of food.

Sounds simple right?

Wrong.

You would be amazed at all the food items that have some type of wheat or rye. And yes friends, that includes beer. I am relatively bummed to know that beer is something I should not consume. I also can't eat falafel, one of my favorite foods. Gone for me are Dennys pancakes, Spuntinos pizza and In n Out cheese sandwiches. A sad day indeed. :(

For the most part, eating out at restaurants will be an almost impossible task, so I will be getting creative in the kitchen. Farmers Markets, Barrons, Henry's, Trader Joes, Fresh and Easy and Sprouts will be my shopping destinations.

Lemons to lemonade, right?

I will be sure to post updates on this adventure and its changes in the way I feel. I will also be posting new recipes that people with gluten allergies can enjoy, of course they will also be vegetarian!

If you or any one you know has this or similar issues, feel free to chime in and comment about positive ideas or things to avoid.

Thanks,
Bill
:)