Thursday, January 23, 2014

Homemade biscuit mix and cheese biscuits

I have been making my own biscuit mix for years now.  Once we learned Bill was no longer able to eat wheat or gluten, the convenience of grabbing a box a Bisquick went out the window.  Anyone with the same affliction knows the gluten free box is 3 times as expensive and 3 times smaller than the regular gluteny one.  If you were just a single person that might be okay, but not for a family.  I do not want to make 2 different batches of biscuits.  I just make everything gluten free.  Something that is not cost effective using the ready made stuff.

Lately I have noticed a lot of stores have started carrying ready made mixes for "Red Lobster Cheese Biscuits".  Having made these myself for years, I thought I would share my recipe.  No sense in spending $4 for a bag that will only make you 12 biscuits and is full of preservatives.  And for good measure, I am sharing my biscuit mix recipe as well.  Enjoy!



Biscuit Mix 

8 Cups Flour (Regular or gluten free flour works here.  Whatever your needs are.)
1 1/4 Cups Nonfat Dry Milk Powder
1/4 Cup Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Salt
2 Cups Shortening

Combine flour, milk, baking powder, and salt in a very large bowl.

Cut in shortening using a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse cornmeal.

Store in tightly closed covered container in a cool place. (I put mine in the fridge.)

Makes about 10 cups.


Cheese Biscuits

Dough:
2 cups biscuit mix 
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese 
2/3 cups milk (I have used broth here with excellent results)

Stir until combined.

Using a small scoop, place the dough on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.   (Remember, these are drop biscuits, no need to make them pretty.)

Bake in 375 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.  (All ovens vary!  Keep an eye on your biscuits, you don't want to burn up your hard work.)

Garlic Spread:
2 Tbsp melted butter
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic salt.

While biscuits bake, combine spread ingredients. 

Brush baked biscuits with the garlic topping.