A NON-CANNABIS SLEEP AID -
BSC, CA – Though cannabis [not marijuana] is the world's mightiest plant and a cosmic WD-40 for people and animals, it isn't the only plant in Nature's arsenal. Today with fifty percent of the nation on prescription drugs, most of which come with a ten-minute list of side effects, people are awakening from the dream of the modern medicine industry, especially when they realize it is an industry. Doctors and Big Pharma don't get paid when you are well.
One of the oldest problems to affect humans after becoming civilized is sleep, or the lack of it. Back in the 50's, overdoses from alcohol and barbiturates made the headlines at an alarming rate for those sedate times. These victims were people who suffered from a lack of sleep. Today the rate of overdoses has increased many times over because prescription drugs often have side effects that bring on suicidal desires only complicating matters except the bottom line, more per capita deaths across a wider age range.
Now an old friend who also suffers from piecemeal sleep portions has shared with me, and you, our Dear Readers, her recipe for a solid five hours of sleep a night. If her healthy look of late is any indication of success from this formula, then I can highly recommend it. My friend's visit was very eclectic so I can't give you any back story this time, except for the name. This elixir is called Moon Milk. Make the jump for a good night's sleep in a cup.
This recipe is slightly complex in ingredients so we have divided it into What You Need and What You Do.
What You Need:
- 1 cup of whole milk recommended; but Almond milk or any nut milk can substitute
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 pinches of ground cardamon
- a pinch of ground ginger
- a pinch of nutmeg (ground)
- ground black pepper (couple of shakes)
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil or ghee
- 1 ½ teaspoons honey, preferably raw
- 1 Whisk
What You Do:
- 1. Boil milk on medium high heat.
- 2. Mix all spices and whisk until no lumps.
- 3. Lower heat and simmer 5-10 minutes (7 minutes recommended), add coconut oil.
- 4. Let your Moon Milk cool down a little and add the 1½ tablespoons of raw honey to suit taste.
(Recipe by The Citizen Chef,Keirah Robbins)